The UK Dharma Teachers are offering a number of in-depth retreats during 2017 and 2018 to allow practitioners to deepen their understanding of the Plum Village mindfulness path. Each retreat will include:
- A set text to study beforehand
- Opportunities to practice with guided meditations, silent sitting meditation, walking meditation, mindful eating and noble silence
- The opportunity to learn from others through dharma sharing
- Dharma talks from UK Dharma Teachers
These in-depth retreats are suitable for those with an understanding of mindfulness and a regular practice; they are not aimed at complete beginners as they will not include instruction of the basic practices.
You are invited to attend these retreats as a series, as each retreat builds upon the previous one and will provide a good overall foundation for understanding Thay’s deeper teachings. However, you are also welcome to join these retreats as a one off where the topic is one that you specifically want to explore.
Retreat 1: Developing Calmness in a Busy World
The topic of the first retreat is Developing Calmness in a Busy World.
We will cover key topics from Thay’s book ‘Being Peace’ including:
- Recognition of our conditions for Happiness
- Developing insight into our feelings and perceptions
- The Three Gems
We are offering the Developing Calmness in a Busy World retreat in two locations on two different dates with two different teachers.
- 17-19 Feb at Charney Manor near Wantage in Oxfordshire led by Jane Coatesworth and assisted by Teri West. Booking link below
- 10-12 March at Holland House near Pershore in Worcestershire led by Vari McLuskie. http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2713448
Each of these venues caters for around 20-30 people and each is situated in quiet rural surroundings. This gives us the opportunity to feel relaxed and supported by the retreat centre and a small group of like minded friends.
Each weekend costs £199 and there are a few supported places available at £150 for those on low incomes. Booking is open now on the links above.
Times: Arrive Friday from 4.30pm for 6pm start. Leave after lunch on Sunday.
Retreat 2: Interbeing and Emptiness : The Path to Peace and Liberation
Dates: Friday 16th June 4.30pm to Sunday 18th after lunch
Location:Coldwell Activity Centre, Burnley, Lancs
Full details to follow
Retreat 3: Dealing with Difficulties
We will be offering an autumn retreat on the topic of Dealing with Difficulties. This will use as key texts Thay’s Transformation and Healing (which is a commentary on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness) and Reconciliation. The key topics will include:
- Establishing solidity in our body and mind
- Mindfully dealing with difficult situations such as loss, illness, relationship changes, aging, childhood problems and other challenges
- Healing and reconciling with ourselves
We will be offering this retreat only once in 2017
- Dates: Sunday 22 to Thursday 26 October 2017
- Venue: Old Swinford Hospital, Stourbridge.
We will confirm the teaching team and costs for this retreat shortly and launch the booking in early 2017.
We hope to offer another in-depth retreat around June 2017 and are planning ahead to provide in-depth retreats in 2018. Check back on this page.