Who we are
The CoI is a UK educational charity (The Community of Interbeing UK)
We are a growing network of people in the UK who practise mindfulness and aspire to develop peace and happiness in ourselves and in the world by living according to the teachings on global ethics of Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. His teachings, which can be followed by people of all ages and any religion or none, are notable for their emphasis on joy, engagement in the world, and integrating the practice of mindfulness into daily life.
A wiser more compassionate society living in harmony with the Earth.
To encourage the development of awareness, understanding, & well-being for ourselves, each other & the Earth.drawing on the proven techniques of Buddhist teachings developed continuously over the last 2,500 years.
The CoI is part of the wider international grouping of practitioners worldwide who follow the mindfulness practice and teachings of Vietnamese Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh.
Mindfulness is the energy of being aware and awake to the present moment. It is the continuous practice of touching life deeply in every moment of daily life. There is more information about Mindfulness here.
We welcome people of all faiths and none. We honour the differing religious traditions of our members. Our members are encouraged to use the mindfulness practice and teachings to become better whatever-they-already-are and there is no expectation that they will become Buddhists.
What we do
- Local mindfulness groups. We have established about 100 autonomous local UK practice groups (“Sanghas”), each with their own activities and contacts which support the growing numbers of practitioners in our tradition, These Sanghas which are open to people of all ages.
- Introductory courses. Our ‘Be calm: Be happy’ course is run at a variety of locations around the UK.. It offers a 6-week introduction with a 2-hr session each week.
- Retreats. We organise a variety of retreats in the UK and encourage people to visit Thich Nhat Hanh’s retreat centre, Plum Village, near Bergerac in France.
- Wakeup, the UK movement of Young Buddhists and non-Buddhists for a Healthy and Compassionate Society for people of 18 to 35. For further information about WakeUp please visit their international website.
- We have a small practice centre, operate a publications service and distribute Here & Now our own newsletter as well as the international Mindfulness Bell magazine. Our books and meditation supplies service offers books and DVDs by Thich Nhat Hanh as well as meditation bells.
How we are organised
At the national level, our educational charity is governed by a group of trustees who meet monthly. The trustees discuss and make decisions by consensus on many organisational and financial aspects of our community’s life. There is an annual assembly and formal annual general meeting to which all members of the charity are invited.
More information about how we are organised can be found on our Governance page.
Finding out more
We hope this site:
- Gives you more information about mindfulness and about Thich Nhat Hanh
- Helps you to start and deepen your practice of mindfulness
- Informs you about our programme of courses and events
- Provides resources for individuals and groups and helps you find (or start) a local group to practice with.
- Inspires and encourages you to support us.
Thank you for visiting our website and please contact us if you require any more help.